Roaring '20s Costumes
With Halloween fast approaching (as well as the 2020s), many people will be attracted to recreations of outfits from the 1920s. Characterized by flappers, ex-pat writers, and rags-to-riches stories, the '20s trends live on as an iconic shift in fashion that one can replicate with ease. Many resources exist that illustrate how to create the best roaring 20s costume.
When purchasing or creating a 1920s themed costume, the following should be taken into consideration:
- Is the costume for a Halloween costume party, a themed holiday party, or an event with a 1920s twist that has become popular in speak-easy themed bars?
- If dressing for a work party or formal event, the party-goer should choose a more conservative '20s-themed costume, such as a longer flapper dress with a period-appropriate fur coat.
- Will the event-goer be sitting or walking around? Heels or uncomfortable shoes should be reconsidered if they will be on their feet for the majority of the event.
Time and Location
- If the costume will be worn during a colder time of the year, especially if the event is located outside, those interested in this style of costume should choose weather appropriate clothing and accessories. For someone dressing as a flapper, tights, fur coats, and hats will keep them warm while staying in theme. For a person dressing as a writer, oil baron, or actor, pea coats were popular during the time.
- A summer event warrants shorter dresses for flapper costumes and cotton and linen for suited individuals.
- Someone looking for a roaring 20s costume should consider how much they would like to spend. Do It Yourself (DIY) thrift-store options might be a good choice for someone not wanting to spend a lot, but Halloween, party, and costume stores keep '20s themed costumes in stock, especially during the Halloween season.
- For more formal events, consignment stores or even new 1920s-style outfits may be necessary.
Benefits of a 1920s Costume
A roaring '20s costume is a versatile option to have on hand for any costumed events. With the right touches, a '20s styled costume can be dressed up for formal events or dressed down for casual events. A little makeup can transform the wearer into a ghost of bygones past. The style is popular enough that flapper dresses or vintage-style suits can be found year round.
A few of the most popular roaring '20s costumes include:
- Old Hollywood Actor/Actress
- Mob Boss
- Newsie Child
- Barbershop Quartet Performer
- Zoot Suit
Top 5 Routes for "Roaring '20s Costume"
This website claims the largest selection of Halloween costumes in the world. Their selection of roaring 20s costumes is long and impressive, including filters for "gangster" and "The Great Gatsby." Each character type has several different styles at various price points to suit any needs.
- Costume SuperCenter
Costume SuperCenter focuses its content on women's flapper and gangster styles. With a variety of flapper and "sexy" gangster styles to choose from, women may find their needs met here, but men will need to look elsewhere.
- Party City
With several store locations around the country, Party City is a good choice for acquiring a flapper costume on the fly. The website features several flapper options, but less in terms of gangsters or costumes for men.
With easy to follow guides featured at the bottom of their page, BuyCostumes offers both the costume and the style know-how of a roaring '20s outfit. They boast a variety of costumes for men, women, and children in the '20s theme. They even include several separate accessories to give the costume the extra authenticity it needs.
- Spirit Halloween
With a variety of gangster, flapper, and performer costumes and locations around the United States, Spirit Halloween is a good stop if looking for roaring 20s costumes.
What is a Route?
A route is a gateway to learning. Routes.com's mission is to go beyond search results by curating summaries and top "routes" for today's most popular subjects. Learn More
Suggest a Route
Are we missing a subject you think should be given a route? Suggest a new route. Learn More
Become a routes.com contributor. Submit your route today! Learn More